Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I sold a house boat for $45000.00 the buyer still ows me

Customer Question

I sold a house boat for $45000.00 the buyer still ows me 13000.00. We made a simple contract between us that states if he falls behind two month I will take my house boat back. I also sublease the marina the house boat is in and that rent is $1000.00 and he did not sign a lease and that is behind one month. The house boat is still under my name, all he has is a cash reciet for $30000.00
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the boat?
Customer: Fl. 1994
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there anything I need to do after the two month to take my boat back?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

It is a bit unusual because you are the lender and are repossessing yourself. You cannot use violence to repossess. Usually repossessing occurs with a repossession agent. Most of these boats are in private marinas or docks which are accessible and repo people just come on deck with the paperwork and the boats are delivered to them. In other instances people have tried to retain their boats and have been taken to jail under serious charges for this.

Possibly you could consider using a repossession agency to do this; or at least talk to them to find out how much they would charge. Here is a link to a site: http://tracerservices.com/florida-repossession.htm

If I did not answer your question completely or you have a follow up question, please let me know and we can continue to discuss.

Hello again! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars for the service I provided to you. Best regards.