socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I rented a condo, lived their for 1.5 years. I was the

Customer Question

I rented a condo, lived their for 1.5 years. I was the second tenant to live there. I moved out of my place in August because the landlord wanted to sell his place. I did not take pictures before I moved in (lesson learned) but did when I was moving out. The landloard inspected the place 3 times, each time wanting something else done. I did not want to argue so I had cleaners come out 3 times. Next, I had the carpets dry cleaned then the landloard asked for the carpets to be steam cleaned too because could smell my dogs (dogs lived there before but I have no way to prove it). The steam cleaner came out and said their was no smell but said he would be happy to come back if there was any smell. Two weeks later, he inspected it one last time. Said he was happy with the condition of the house and gave me my deposit back in full.
Almost two months later, he sent me a text saying he can smell my dogs, he wants me to replace his carpets or he will take me court. I did not reply. Then he sends me a text saying if I would have the carpet steam cleaned again (the guy isn't going to do it for free two months later nor do I want to meet with the landlord again). His place hasn't sold, he did not maintain his unit, and he expects me to fix it. Should I respond to his text message? If so, what should I say? Once the deposit is return, can he ask me for repairs? Am I responsible for replacing his carpets?
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 months ago.

Ignore the landlord. You did your part, and you're off the hook. The return of your deposit demonstrates proof of the landlord's satisfaction with the property's condition. It would be extremely difficult to prove that there was some latent defect for which you should now e held liable.

If you respond, the landlord will know you've received notice. If you don't, the landlord will remain in the dark. He will have to decide whether or not it's worth the risk to sue you, only to lose. Don't give him any ammo by responding.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Note: I see you've asked for a phone call. I"ll send you a premium services offer, in case I've missed something that you want to discuss.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for the advice. He knows where my business is, I am afraid he might show up there. Should I send him a text saying, "I spoke to my lawyer, please do not contact me further"? or just block the number?

I'd send the phone number to voicemail, and save the voicemails. The landlord may provide you with some suitably threatening commentary that would give you grounds for a stalking order against the landlord.

If he comes to your business, tell him he's trespassing and that unless he leaves immediately, you will call law enforcement to remove him from the premises.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!