KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Arbitrator
Experience:  Attorney at Law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

Renter is two months behind on rent. Options for collection?

Customer Question

Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is the home we moved from when I took a new position. We still pay mortgage, insurance and taxes for a rental property. We aren't making any profit, even if we collect every month's rent.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am torn. We lost money last year because a tenant left without paying the last month's rent. We simply can't afford to keep this up.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You could file an action in Small Claims Court against the tenant to get a judgment for the amount owed. You could also start eviction proceedings for non-payment of the rent. However, the tenant may be judgment-proof, meaning the tenant does not have any funds or any property that the judgment could attach to.

With a judgment, you would still be in a position to collect on the court judgment later on if the tenant's circumstances change, but even getting a judgment in your favor does not necessarily mean that you will get paid now.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 5 months ago.

if you have any follow up questions just ask.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 5 months ago.

If you have any other questions just ask

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 5 months ago.

if you have any follow up questions, please just ask.