Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I have a real estate client who is buying a house. The party

Customer Question

I have a real estate client who is buying a house. The party that is selling the house want to get out of the transaction two days before closing. Can they do that?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington state
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Do you filed with the title company?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

The party that is selling the house want to get out of the transaction two days before closing. Can they do that?

.

Legally no, but realistically probably. What I mean is that under the law, they can't break the contract and your client could sue them for breach and for "specific performance" to have a judge order the sale to go through under contempt of court and potential jailtime if the seller didn't comply.

.

But realistically, it would take a year and tens of thousands in attorney fees to get to that point and most buyers aren't willing to spend that time and money in pursuing something like this.

.

So they could sue to force the sale to go through, but most don't.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a licensed Realtor for over 13 years...

.

.

thanks