Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I have just moved into a detached strata, some houses are

Customer Question

I have just moved into a detached strata, some houses are bigger then others, some houses have garages. Right now there are different monthly fees.
The new treasurer wants to charge everybody the same amount. Which means the bigger houses will pay as much as $30.00 less.
Is this allowed with 3/4 vote ?
Strata Plan VIS 3881
Mrs. J. Juisman
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

An HOA can regulate things such as this and the HOA agreement will need to be examined in order to know if the 3/4 vote is permissible in a situation such as this. If the HOA agreement provides that a 3/4 vote is necessary to make this change, then yes it is permissible. Unfortunately changes relating to monthly fees made by vote is within the scope of the powers of the HOA and the members that are a part of this association. So to answer your question, yes the HOA can vote to make this change and increase your fees if the HOA policies and procedures were followed.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?