Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I am in the process of selling a house in Wisconsin and was

Customer Question

I am in the process of selling a house in Wisconsin and was told that the buyers would give me a $10,000 down payment. So when I inquired about it to my realtor she said that the buyers gave them $10,000 and it wasn't going to me. Closing costs are going to be around $7,000, do I have any way of getting some of the money before we close?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wisconsin.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We don't close until Nov. 18, if that is what you are asking.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess I should mention that my realtor told me the $10,000 was going to be sent to me. Problem being, it cost me over $4,000 to move out and I really do not have the extra money right now.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

The deposit is defined in the contract as "earnest money", correct, and placed in escrow?