Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

October 20, 2016 To whom it may concern, My objection to the

Customer Question

October 20, 2016To whom it may concern,My objection to the special assessment against my property on Virginia Place in Albert Lea, MN in the amount of $8,194.59 is due to an incomplete reconstruction that failed to address the severe sag in the main sanitary sewer line that has a manhole on Virginia Pl that continues to sit full of sewage and has threatend residents with damaging sewer backups on the south end of Virginia Pl for decades. My property recently had a sewer backup that resulted in 10 thousand dollars worth of damage and destroyed personal property.The incomplete reconstruction also failed to address the Virginia Pl storm sewer lift station that has needed the capacity increased since 1978 to mitigate the damages caused by flooding that happens several time every year on the south end of Virginia Pl.I submitted a proposal in 2015 called the 6th St Plan and the city engineer said my plan would cost approximately $2.1 million to upgrade the Virginia Pl storm sewer lift station. He has been telling the Albert Lea city council for years that his plan would cost $20 million.Both the sanitary and storm sewer systems require improvements of at least $2.45 million and both systems continue to threaten residents on the south end. If they were ever properly installed they would require completely tearing up the street again. This is unacceptable and its obvious that the most important improvements that needed to be done on this street will never get done.The only benefit to my property is not having to deal with potholes. 1963 was the last time the street in front of my house got a new asphalt overlay.The high cost of the special assessment by far exceeds any benefit to me or my property. I would have to call it an unconstitutional taking or inverse condemnation.This situation couldn't be more depressing.Troy Christensen
1207 Virginia Place
Albert Lea, MN 56007(###) ###-####
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question to us about your situation?