Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I live in a HOA subdivision in FL. They have asked me to get

Customer Question

Hello, I live in a HOA subdivision in FL. They have asked me to get several things done which at my property. Some of the the items I did and some I could not afford due to living on one salary and having a medical condition. I have stayed in touch with them. They started charging $50 per day in fines and now have filed a claim of lien on the property. I beyond ill about this and don't know where to turn.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: Bradenton FL
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, this is a problem with living in any HOA or condo association, you are bound by their bylaws. Thus, if the property is in violation of the bylaws and needs to have work done, the failure to do so can result in fines if the bylaws state they can charge you for fines for not making the repairs. The only other thing you can do is go to the HOA board and ask for them to waive the fines and present them with a written plan and agreement as to the time when you will be able to get the remaining work done.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.