Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I rented an apartment on november 15th last year in West

I rented an apartment on november 15th last year in West Hollywood, CA. The lease ends on november 15th this year. In case I want to stay at the property (paying rent), even though the owner doesn't want to renew the lease, what would be the consequences?

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

If you lease ends on Nov 15th, if the landlord doesn't want to continue with the lease, he could file to evict you on Nov 16th. It would take about 3-4 weeks after that before he could have the sheriff physically force you to vacate.

.

But if the landlord agrees to continue the tenancy, you would just be month to month and he would have to give you a 60 day written notice to terminate the tenancy since you have been there over 60 days. If you wanted to terminate it, it only requires a 30 day written notice.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Hello Barrister,

thanks for your answer.

I have another question... Could the landlord hold my security deposit or not give it back at all in case I don't leave the apartment until the 15th?

You are very welcome.

.

And yes, if you stay over, the landlord can end up charging you for any eviction and court costs as well as any additional rent that may become due and deduct it from your security deposit.

.

.

thanks