Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I have been living in my apartment for 21.5 years. The

Customer Question

I have been living in my apartment for 21.5 years. The landlord I had when I first moved in gave back my security deposit when they sold the apartments. My second landlord that I had for 6 years never asked for a security or last months rent. The landlord I have now has been my landlord for 7.5 years. I always pay my rent early, keep my place clean inside and out.
My air conditioner broke 5 years ago. I had to buy a new one because my landlord said I would have to pay $20.00 more a month if he got me a new one.The air conditioner is included in the rent. He has never painted my apartment. My rug is from 1965 and looks like it. Now out of the blue he wants me to give him security deposit and last months rent. He doesn't fix things around here and when he does it not by a person that knows what he is doing. So he has to get someone else. He is a slum landlord. Why and can he asks after all this time for security and last months rent? Thank You for your help, SL
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

Hi Susan: This sounds like a rent stabilized or rent controlled apartment. Is it so?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is a rent stabilized or rent controlled apartment?I have a landlord that owns the apartment.
I think it's a single owner?

Hi Susan: In some cities or town, there is a code or ordinance where a landlord can only raise rent a certain amount each year. Since you have lived in a place for 21 years, it sounded like you lived in a rent controlled or rent stabilized apartment. In other words, they cannot raise your rent any amount they would want to do. Is your apartment market rent?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not ready to talk what now. Maybe in a couple of hours.

We can continue here. That is fine.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What time do you close? I'll push the call me button later. In the mean time you can research. I need an tenant advocate. My landlord is not proactive, doesn't know anything about time management, and is not an neat and organized person. I'm screwed.

Just Answer does not close. But I am not on line all the time. If you want to speak on the phone and I am not on line, I will see your request to speak on the phone, and the we can arrange a time to speak.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK

Sure.