How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29274
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I are getting divorced. The house was free and

Customer Question

My wife and I are getting divorced. The house was free and clear at that time, but I needed to pay her out, so I took a morgage out to pay her, now need to change the title to my name only. How do I proceed to do that.
Thank You
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You and your wife wife can sign a quitclaim deed, transferring title to the house from both of you to just you. She'll also need to sign something stating that the money you're giving her is in exchange for giving up her community property interest in the house, unless you have a court order directing her to sign. If you haven't given her the money yet, you can meet at the County Recorders office, sign the papers, and give her the check at the same time. Usually, they have rooms for that right there. If you've already given her the money, you can file a Request for Order, asking the judge to direct her to sign the deed. Bring the deed to court with you, and she can be made to sign it right there.

Here is a sample deed you can use.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?

Related Real Estate Law Questions