TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I recently moved in a new apartment.Landlord gave me keys to

Customer Question

I recently moved in a new apartment.Landlord gave me keys to apartment told me too go look at it and if i like it then move in..He said he was out of town for weekend and would handle the paper work on monday...So i moved in and 5 days later i get a 3 day notice for non payment .Ok I hadnt even signed a lease ask him about payment and he refused...The reason he refused was because of gossip around town..He accused me of being busted for drugs at previous residence, which is totally false i have never been arrested or even put on probation for anything...I am a mother woth 3 boys and am guna be homeless...My question is why Woodland board give me the keys then back out because of slander or gossip around town that you've heard. What he was telling me I did is totally a lie he's just going off word up the street I told him he could have my recommendation for my last three Apartments and he just was stubborn headed and said no he said I didn't pay my rent failure to I tried to pay my rent he would not take it the paperwork you gave me was not even right. Yeah I have him on a recording saying how he did not give me the right document admitting his wrongs and still haven't received the paperwork now I have to go to court tomorrow at 11 o'clock is there anyway I can continue this case and get it later or should I just go and plead guilty and get the case over with which I feel I am being discriminated against and taken advantage of what should I do
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again.

Q: now I have to go to court tomorrow at 11 o'clock is there anyway I can continue this case and get it later or should I just go and plead guilty and get the case over with which I feel I am being discriminated against and taken advantage of what should I do

A: Unfortunately, it is likely too late to find an attorney, or to file a Motion to Continue. Accordingly, if you want to get this continued tomorrow, then you'll need to appear in person and ask the judge. You should be ready to explain why you need a continuance and why you are not prepared to proceed. Generally, continuances are not granted except when there are extenuating circumstances, such as if you were in the hospital for a few days and could not adequately prepare your defense. In any event, you can certainly appear tomorrow to ask for the continuance in court when the judge calls the case. If it is not granted, then you'll need to argue on the merits ... i.e., that you attempted to pay the rent, and that the landlord refused to take the money (I would bring the rent money tomorrow to pay in front of the judge if necessary). Having said that, without a written lease, then the landlord can terminate the tenancy with 30 days notice anyway. So the bot***** *****ne is that you should be prepared to leave no matter what. The only real issue is when ... this week, or 30 days after you moved in.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.