Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

Need help to address a judgment lien to clear title, DC, I

Customer Question

Need help to address a judgment lien to clear title
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: DC
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I have a 2010 default judgment that was originally addressed in 2010
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: HELP -- I am being referred to you by Hyatt Legal Services. I am a plan member and need your help.At the final stage of DC Probate. Currently need consul on a default judgment lien that needs to be negotiated for a payoff letter to clear title in preparation for a refinance home loan to payoff my sister and mortgage.Looking into the background of the default judgment, it involves contacting a Law firm that is a debt collector. I am hesitant because the calculated amount is approximately $22,000.Back in 2010 Legal Consul for the Elderly (LCE) addressed this court order for my mother related to credit card bills and after a couple of meetings responded to the plaintiff and advised my mom that there was nothing else that had to be done. According to LCE this month, protection of my mothers income and bank garnishing was only challenged back in 2010 but not for the judgment lien on the house.Currently ready to close a loan to payoff my sister and need to clear the title but need to remove the lien on title - HELP.Is this something you can help me with and what kind of timeline would we be looking at? Can you coach me how to negotiate the payoff letter or is this something you can do?Attached are the following documents:1. Default Judgment2. Court Docket provided by Probate Attorney3. Info found online related to 2010 default judgment lien debt collectorsHELP - look forward to hear back from you as I would like to close my loan this month.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You know, I am pretty sure, we cannot represent you in any matters. We can only provide information to help educate and guide you to deal with the matter locally.

Are you the executor of the estate?

Is the probate estate represented by legal counsel?

You realize any removal of liens are going to take more than 30 days to resolve in most cases?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Please note that I am a premier member paying a monthly subscription rate for unlimited questions.

I understand that and I noted that. You also know how this site works and you know we can only give you information and not representation.

So, you also know that when we ask you questions you should answer them so we could proceed to answer you.

Thanks a bunch.