Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I had not one but two landlords from and they kicked me and

Customer Question

I had not one but two landlords from hell and they kicked me and my disabled son out of housing.
We are homeless and have been staying in a hotel shelter here in MA for 2 years now.
My disabled son just turned 21 and now DHCD is forcing us out of the shelter.
I have been working wih Lexington Law for over 6 months to repair my credit.
According to Walletnerd my score is now 670. It's not perfect but much better.
Now I have applied to rent an affordable apartment but keep getting turned down.
We are being forced to move before the end of the year (2016).
I'm terrified that we will be totally homeless again. Sleeping in my car.
I have saved some money, a few thousand and we qualify for a program called HOMEBASE which will pay up to $8000 for us to move out of the hotel shelter.
I got 1 eviction removed from ALL 3 reports but now a rental agent just told me about an old one. I fought that bad landlord in court and paid for an attorney. I wasn't even aware of this one until 2 days ago when the rental agent informed me about it.
What, in Gods name, should I do??
I'm working, got letters of reference from my minister. My son receives almost $800 in Social Security.
We have money saved up, just NO APARTMENT.
It seems like there is very little redemption in America.
WHAT SHOULD WE DO NOW.
WE ARE GOOD PEOPLE. NO SMOKING.
PAY MY BILLS ON TIME.
THIS IS A NIGHTMARE!
PLEASE ADVISE.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

If you are disputing the old eviction judgment that was just found by the rental agent, you need to start your inquiry with the Attorney that handled the case for you to find out the exact status of the case. If you cannot get hold of the Attorney, then you need to go to the Courthouse where the case was handled to review the docket and see for yourself what happened. If there is no Judgment of Eviction, but the credit report is showing that you were evicted, then you need to dispute the information with the credit reporting agency and get the derogatory information off your records. The removal of the derogatory information from your record would improve your prospects of renting an apartment.

Goodluck with your case,