Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

My husband and myself are on Title of our house we signed of

Customer Question

My husband and myself are on Title of our house we signed of course for a mortgage with a private mortgage company. Before the mortgage was up for renewal i husband constantly beat me and after the last blow i left and went to live i two different shelters for safety and now housing. My husband is still in the house. I lost my job and i am on disability. My husband went to our mortgage company and asked for an early renewal and could he just sign without them even trying to contact me to ask why i wasn't signing they allowed the renewal to go through without my knowledge/consent or my signature they locked me into a 5 year closed term. When i found out what they both did to me i was outraged. They would not help knowing i never agreed to anything and did not sign and how do they know that maybe my Title would not want to deal with them.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ontario
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Elaborate please
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes this is 4 and a half years latter and won't release me at one point the court said sell the house it didn't sell and it was suggested to me i go bankrupt and put everything in it but anyway i am bankrupt on disability and in housing and living way under the poverty and they have the nerve to say well you sign the original mortgage ya i didn't know i was going to have to live in violence!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What you are describing done by the mortgage company is illegal if they changed the terms of the mortgage and are holding you responsible without you signing the agreement.

I know you probably feel like there is nothing you can do at this point. However, there are some legal aid societies providing help to women in your situations to deal with abusive husbands and navigate the legal system. In Ontario, there is Legal Aid Ontario which help with domestic violence cases. Here is a link to their website: http://www.legalaid.on.ca/en/getting/type_domesticviolence.asp. They also have references to other legal services who could possibly aid you as well.