Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

If I co-sign on a mortgage loan for someone and decided that

Customer Question

If I co-sign on a mortgage loan for someone and decided that I wanted to pay that off the mortgage to become sole owner of the property can I evict the current president
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

.

.No, the mortgage doesn't determine who owns a property. A mortgage and Note are just the documents that determine who has to pay for the loan to purchase the property.

.

It is the deed that determines who owns the property. So if you are not on the property deed, then you wouldn't be a legal owner and wouldn't have any authority to evict someone living on the property.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In reference to my last question if my name is ***** ***** the deed how do I get my name on the deed
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry but I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website. I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible.

.

However, if you wish to have a phone call with an attorney, you can post a request for "additional services" and your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

I am more than happy to continue on the website though..

.

The only way to get your name on the deed would be for the current owner to have a new deed drafted where they added your name to the deed along with theirs as a co-owner. This is done with the current owner signing as the Grantor and then you and the current owner signing as Grantees. The deed is then notarized and recorded and the transfer is completed to make you both owners of the property.

.

.

thanks