RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

As yearly lease renters what are our rights as to addendums

Customer Question

As yearly lease renters what are our rights as to addendums being added to our original leases. Is there a legal amount that can be added to our leases? Are we to be obligated to accept these changes? And do they have the right to eviction if not signed? ***@******.***
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The landlord can not simply change the terms and conditions of your while. Those will control until the lease expires. However, there is nothing wrong with the landlord wanting to add or change terms, once the lease expires and incorporate them into a new lease term and they can do that, as long as they are legal. You do not have to accept their changes and can reject them and propose an agreement but if they are firm on these and you do not agree, they can simply ask that you vacate once the lease expires.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In other words we have no rights! We have to succumb to their every whim in order to maintain our residency.

As long as what they are demanding is not illegal, then sadly you do. They, as the owners, are not forced to allow a tenant to stay, no matter how good of a tenant they are, like yourself. If they want more money, they can raise the rent or add restrictions, they can do it. I know it is not ideal but I am just being upfront and honest with you.