Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Is a lease binding if 1) a tenant signs and landlord does

Customer Question

Is a lease binding if 1) a tenant signs and landlord does not sign and 2) tenant pays the rent?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

Did the landlord provide the tenant with the lease contract?

.

Does the tenant have a copy of the signed lease?

.

Did the landlord accept the rent payment?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1) New York City non-regulated building 2) real estate agent provided the lease 3) Tenant electronically signed lease with no date 4) rent was paid and accepted for 1st month of lease
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Ok, if the landlord provided the lease to the tenant, then that can be considered a unilateral offer by the landlord to rent to the tenant that they can accept just by signing it. If they do so and pay the stated rent and any deposit listed in the lease contract, then yes, it is considered a legally binding contract.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks