Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

Our HOA Board settled a construction defect lawsuit about 10

Customer Question

Our HOA Board settled a construction defect lawsuit about 10 years ago ($600K+), never told us when and where the monies would be spent, and we found out last month at an HOA meeting (first one in three years!) that they have kept the money in a bank account that we knew nothing of, and will not let us see a bank statement when we asked for one.
What recourse do we have?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 month ago.

THe HOA Board has the authority to make rules and regulations governing the finances of the organization. In 2014, the California legislature passed the most comprehensive HOA annual disclosure requirements ever seen. I suspect that a large percentage of California's HOAs are still unaware of this legislation. See:http://www.calassoc-hoa.com/Homeowners-Association/Annual-Disclosures.aspx. Also, the board may well have committed acts of negligence in holding the money at little or no interest in a savings account in the bank. With only 16 units, it should be fairly easy to get a group together to approach the board as a unit and demand these disclosures. if the board continues to resist, your group might be able to move in on the next election and take over the b

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

oard. There is also the possibility of a lawsuit to force financial disclosure.