Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Can Home Owners Associations prohibit lawn signs advocating

Customer Question

Can Home Owners Associations prohibit lawn signs advocating for a candidate for political office? If not, what is the court case?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 month ago.

Yes they can, unless there is a) A state statute which bars Associations from enforcing such rules; or b) a County, city or other municipal ordinance which bars such rules. Of course, I'm presuming that such prohibitions are provided for in the associations CC&Rs. I find no references to any state statute in Oregon.

If the HOA rules prohibit yard signs and there aren’t any state or local laws protecting your sign, take it down for now. You’ve agreed to live in the association and follow its rules, even rules you don’t like. Then, try to change the rules by working with your HOA Board for the next election.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.