Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

Sold house. moved to assisted living. neighbor,abbetted by

Customer Question

sold house. moved to assisted living. neighbor,abbetted by my son,sellectively took property{eg treasured waterford chrystal collection etc.) and refuses to give it back. need local legal asst. How do I proceed. I am 94. Suggestion?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Banning CA.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: reported to police. policeman brusk, almost brutal. "i talked to him ,he say he won't give it back)) Written ffor Helen Harman by George Hammett. Also atty. friend in S.F. Ca wrote letter for me and received threatening reply.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no. can further explain. need local law support.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the police will not file criminal charges for theft, then your only remaining option is suing the neighbor and your son for return of your property (the name of the suit is called "replevin" or return of property). If your son had no authority to give the property to the neighbor and the neighbor took it you would have to file suit against both of them. You would need to get a local attorney, which you can get from your local senior center or legal aid if you cannot afford one, or you can get one from the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com