Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My grandmother has the deed to her home but due to fraud

Customer Question

My grandmother has the deed to her home but due to fraud from Chase Bank they sold her home to someone else while she still lived there. The sherriff came and put her out even when she provided the deed. She now has a correction letter from Chase Bank apologizing for the mistake. A company is now listed as the owner of her home and has rented it out to someone. Is there a way for my grandmother to get her home back? She was taken advantage of by Chase Bank because at her age they assumed she died and took her house and sold it. She wants her house back and the deed is in her name. She paid her house off many years ago, a decade ago. Please let me know if my grandmother can get her home back. She lived there for over 30 years! Thank you. Stacia(###) ###-####Columbus, OH.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

How long ago did this happen?

.

Is this some type of situation where there was a reverse mortgage on the property and they thought she passed so they foreclosed on their loan?

.

Did she ever get any correspondence about them taking action against the house?

.

Was she living there the whole time?

.

What does the letter state they are apologizing for?

.

Has she contacted a local real estate or civil litigation attorney? If not, why not?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My grandmother is 92 years old so she does not know who to contact. She does not have a loan on the house. She paid for it years ago. She has the deed to this property. She is the owner. She lived there until 2014 a sherriff came because Chase Bank told them to put her out. She showed the sherriff her deed and chase bank said put her out anyway. So the sherriff put her stuff on the curb. My grandmother and our family have never recovered from this horrible experience. Chase Bank was prosecuted of Fraud on the elderly and we received a letter from Chase Bank last year apologizing for this mistake. You can look it up online and see the details of the fraud case. She does not have much money and this is why we haven't hired an attorney to try to get the house back, but she wants to move back to her home. We have her in a tiny apartment now hoping to get her home back. She is so devastated.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We are hoping to get her home back without going to court. I was hoping to show the deed and the Chase Bank apology letter maybe to the Franklin County Recorders office and maybe that would be enough to get her home back? Not sure.