How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 748
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I were separated at the time of his death.

Customer Question

My husband and I were separated at the time of his death. His will left everything to his daughter - a house and 16 acres. Since we were still married, I contested the will. Texas is a community property state. I was awarded 11 acres that did not include the house.
I know that I am to pay Federal taxes on the difference of the property tax between when he bought the place and when I sell it. This will be first time the taxes have been figured separately on the 11 acres. This land did exist prior to 2016 tax rolls. I wil be closing the end of October on this land.
How do handle this so I pay my share of the tax?
Thank you,
Sharn Morgan
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

So, what you need to do to ensure that you pay your share of the taxes is to make sure that you calculate your taxes from the time that the court awarded you the property to know and prorate them.

You may want to speak to an accountant to assist you with this process.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.