MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

I short sold my townhouse in 2013. 3 weeks after I sold my

Customer Question

Hi
I short sold my townhouse in 2013. 3 weeks after I sold my home a lawyer contacts me and said I owe HOA fees and now lawyers fees. I paid a realtor and a short sale lawyer to take care of sale of my home. I had two HOA fees and I group all HOA fees in to amt. Upon closing I asked if HOA fees were taken care of they said yes. I didn't ask if both were. Now 3 years later the home association still wants me to pay. I have a court summons to go to court. I was told that in order for the buyer to buy the home everything should of been researched by the title company to let the sale go through. am I on the hook to still pay HOA fees after 3 years?
Michelle
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You are responsible for payment of the HOA fees until such time as the record/title owner changes (i.e. after the sale is completed). You need to make sure that the fees that the association is coming after you for are not fees after the point that the sale was closed and title ownership changed. If they are, then you are not responsible for them. If they are not, then you are.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.