How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116154
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother has been paying taxes on a piece of property for

Customer Question

My mother has been paying taxes on a piece of property for 23 years. Can she get a deed to this land free and clear. This is in Virginia
JA: The Accountant's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: This is a piece of property that belonged to my grandfather. when he died he did not have a will. the children would not agree to sign papers to get a deed. My father had the land surveyed and has been paying taxes on the land for 25 years at least. 2 shares of the land that belonged to his brothers has been sold for no paying taxes. can I get a deed for the share that my dad paid taxes on. he has died
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: There is one more sister and her family lives on the property that she claimed.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the land never went through probate, you would have to go through probate. This is not an adverse possession claim, you need to actually file to open probate and notify all the heirs and have an administrator appointed and then go through a probate court process to order the deed changed. If the other heirs try to claim the property, you can still get it because they would have to pay your mom back for all the money she paid on taxes to claim their share or she would get the land for paying taxes. There is no easy way to do this I am sorry to say.

Related Real Estate Law Questions