Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

Michigan I am familiar with how to access current building

Customer Question

Michigan
I am familiar with how to access current building codes. I am familiar with MI R310.
What I want to find is:
1) When did Michigan first require that sleeping rooms, no matter where they are located in a dwelling or building require two means of egress?
2) When did Michigan first define egress well windows for basement sleeping rooms as required and meeting the requirement for dual egress?
I would like both the year passed by the legislature and when it went into effect.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

Hi Carol: The best I can find is the legislative history of Act 167 of 1917, the Housing Law of Michigan, which also provides the various years when the act was amended. I do not have exactly what the amendments entailed, only when they occurred. Would that be helpful to you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, I have already reviewed that. I sure don't understand how housing inspectors do their job. How do they inspect a house if it is done to the code of the time if you can't find out what the code was at any specific time.Thanks for trying,
Carol

Hi Carol: It is hard to find the legislative history and the previous wording without using a legal database and even having to go to look at hard copies in a law library. That would take a few hours to do. It is not readily available as we both know. If you want that service, I suppose I can attempt to do it for you. It would be a premium service since it takes so much time. If you want, I can send you the premium service offer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, but thanks so much for your responses. I appreciate the confirmation that the info is not readily available and I missed it.I guess the system is "rigged" , lol

Hi Carol: Don't make me laugh lol. You are welcome.