Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

My boyfriend and I have a motorcycle, title in both our

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I have a motorcycle, title in both our names, we have split up. He thinks I should give him the bike. He was making payments, but when my mom passed away, we wanted to purchase her house, so in order for me to get house I had to buy out my 3 siblings. So I had to payoff bike, 6,478.00. out of my inheritance. so I could get loan to buy house. can I get him to buy me out of owning bike?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm in maryland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: my name is ***** ***** one on house. both of our names on title to bike. can I get him to by me out on bike only.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no,thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your break-up.

Yes, you can. Since both names are ***** ***** bike, you're both legal owners. You each have a right to use and enjoy it, and that means, by default, it stays with whoever already has it. You have no obligation to turn it over to him without him paying you half the value. This is true even if he was making the payments before, unless you had something in writing that said he would get the bike outright once it was paid off.

He has no rights to the house whatsoever, since it's in your name only.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?