Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

The telephone company just butchered our trees lining our

Customer Question

The telephone company just butchered our trees lining our cabin in Jackson NH, with not even a knock on the door. I awoke to trees falling outside my door. These trees lined our cabin road side and were more than 15 feet from the road. The head guy said they had to be 15 feet from the wires. They also took off half of 2 60 foot spruces in our field, leaving only the top 10 - 12 feet. Heading to cabin today. Who should I contact to find the rules of doing this? Have just a day and a half before returning to CA.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: This happened Oct. 6 this year. Just over a week ago. The head guy said NH had a New boss and the rules were now different. About 3 years ago we hired Bartlett's tree co to take down a tree that was less than 15 feet from the wires, but more than 15 feet from the road. EG, did the law change because if the rule is still 15 feet from the road, the tel. co owes us 6 trees. Worried about exposure to road - not entire. Thanks
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: What work??? I am trying to find out the legal rule for wire clearance in Jackson NH and want to know Who to connect to.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: 1) Who to contact in Jackson - town offices or what phone company. Heading up in about half and hour - should be there by 1pm. Only have day and half.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 month ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Trees are the personal property of the person's whose land they are situated upon. The law is very strict and very clear on the destruction of trees. You would file a lawsuit for the damages to caused to each tree. The first step would be to write a demand letter to the company HQ explaining that this has occurred without your permission. You can also have a local attorney draft the letter as attorney letterhead seems to get the most attention. You would send the letter certified mail return receipt requested. You would give the company a set number of days to rectify the situation or let them know that you will be filing a lawsuit against them.

Give me one moment to provide you with the TREE Laws in NH.

“In New Hampshire, if someone damages your tree, you can recover your actual damages (usually, what you paid for the tree or what it would cost to replace the tree).” https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/new-hampshire-laws-neighbor-property-disputes-65243.html

The head guy said they had to be 15 feet from the wires. They also took off half of 2 60 foot spruces in our field, leaving only the top 10 - 12 feet. Heading to cabin today. Who should I contact to find the rules of doing this? Have just a day and a half before returning to CA.

These are zoning questions and you would contact the local government for a copy of the ordinances at http://www.jackson-nh.org/Pages/JacksonNH_WebDocs/ordinances

Frank Benesh

Chairman

(###) ###-####/p>

Address:

Jackson Town Office
PO Box 268
Jackson , NH 03846

This is a link for attorney in the area that provide FREE consultations. http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/real-estate-law/jackson/new-hampshire

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you have with regard to this matter. The city may direct you to the county but either way the city is the starting point.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter as it would be my pleasure to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

The Attorneys on the site do not receive credit for their time or work if the customer does not rate us positively. There is no additional charge to you for a positive rating and you can still receive a refund. Thank you for your consideration.