RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

My neighbor behind my home planted trees up on a in their

Customer Question

My neighbor behind my home planted trees up on a hill in their backyard; however, they have grown so high that the block the sun so that my swimming pool is in the shade most of the summer and in the fall it is totally in the shade. Can I ask them to cut them lower or can I force them to cut them down? I am willing to pay for it as well; but they've grown 30 ft.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Situations like these, are VERY common. You 100% can speak with them and advise them of the situation and see if they will work with you, to accommodate the situation. If you are willing to pay for the trimming and it can be done in a way to afford them the privacy they wanted or intended purpose of planting them, they should be neighborly. However, they can not be forced to do so. Unless there is an easement or restriction that runs with their land, they do not have to trim these or cut them down and can keep them, since they are on their own property.