Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Me and my landlord are involved in a legal case currently, I

Customer Question

me and my landlord are involved in a legal case currently, I have had a broken toilet for over 7 months now and she hasn't shown any diligence in getting it fixed. so I took her to court for small claims. now my property manager is harassing me with eviction and no contact orders. he is using very foul language, such as curse words and I feel like I am currently in a hostile living environment, I am also suffering from emotional distress due to his threats to evict me, I have a 2 year old daughter that I need to provide a roof for and now I am just stressing so much about getting evicted when I haven't violated my contract in anyway. this is retaliation for sure, I want to know if I can sue him for harassment. this isn't the first time he has harassed me and threatened me with eviction. please help :(
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

This definitely sounds like retaliation which is illegal under RCW 59.18.250 Reprisals or retaliatory actions by landlord.

.

This statute says basically that if a landlord takes any negative action against you that is not due to a breach within 90 days of you exercising your legal rights, then it is considered illegal retaliation and you can sue him for harassment and breach of contract for damages and court costs. Since this is a malicious and willful action on the part of the landlord, the judge may choose to award punitive damages to set an example and deter future similar conduct.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's not my landlord directly, it's my property manager who is doing all the harassing.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

They are the agent for the landlord, so the landlord is still responsible under the legal doctrine "respondeat superior".

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, so how do I go about hiring a lawyer and taking it to court as a legal case?
Thank you!
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Well, you would have to look up a local attorney in the city where you live who handles landlord tenant or general civil litigation issues and schedule a time to go talk to them.

.

Once you hired them, they will file a civil complaint and get the lawsuit moving forward.. Generally these types of cases settle out of court with the defendant agreeing to pay some amount just so they don't have to hire their own attorney and defend in court.

.

Or you could file your own small claims court case if you didn't want to hire an attorney. The clerks at the courthouse will have the summons and complaint forms that you need to file to start the case..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How much do lawyers usually cost?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

I would guestimate it at around $1500-2000 to get an attorney interested enough to take the case..

.

.

thanks