Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.
68197583

I live on three acres. Two of those acres are separate

Customer Question

I live on three acres. Two of those acres are separate behind the house. I've been thinking about using those two acres for long term car storage. Is this something I could do with residential land? I would have a contract w customers, charge a monthly/yearlyfee, they would be required to have a cover on the vehicle. I live in Augusta Ga
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 month ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

That depends on the zoning laws for your particular area. Can you tell me the zoning designation of the 2 acres? This is a link for the zoning laws http://www.augustaga.gov/389/Zoning-Rezoning

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm pretty sure it's residential

There are many different designations of residential. R1, R2, R3. If you can tell me the designation we can pull up the law. There are 12 designations in Augusta. If you look at the section of the link I provided it above it sets out the designations.

Go to this link http://www.augustaga.gov/1010/Map-Data-Services

Under Zoning and Transportation Information there is a link for a map to determine your designation.

Let me know the zoning designation and we can go from there.

You can also contact the zoning department and they can provide you with the real property designation for your land and let you know if using the land as long term storage for customers and charging them a monthly fee is a permitted use.

You would contact them at:

"Melanie Wilson - Director
Planning & Development Department

Planning Division*****br />Suite 300
Augusta, GA 30901
Ph:(###) ###-####quot;
http://www.augustaga.gov/2064/About-Us

If you find that this is not a permitted use there is a process in very zoning that allows a land owner to apply for a variance or have the land re-zoned to use their land in a manner that would not otherwise be permitted under the current zoning laws.

http://www.augustaga.gov/faq.aspx?TID=20

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter as it would be my pleasure to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

The Attorneys on the site do not receive credit for their time or work if the customer does not rate us positively. There is no additional charge to you for a positive rating and you can still receive a refund. Thank you for your consideration.

I noticed that you had not rate my service and I was wondering if you still needed assistance. If you were unhappy please let me so I can request a refund for you.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.

Sorry for the delay, i was able to finally figure it out, not sure why it was so hard, but its listed under agricultural

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 23 days ago.

So you would go to this link http://www.augustaga.gov/389/Zoning-Rezoning

Open the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance and go to Paragraph 7 Agricultural.

a-i sets out what your property can be used for. Page 2-9 sets out what they consider a parking lot.

Off Street Parking falls under Section 4

Parking is limited under in residential properties. That being said you can request a variance from the city to provide permission for you to use the land for a parking garage.

Garages is set out in 8-4 Accessory Buildings.

You will ask the City for permission and if they state that do not fall under this type of use you would apply for a variance.