Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My homes previous owner had a sump pump in the crawl space

Customer Question

My homes previous owner had a sump pump in the crawl space that was routed to pump the excess ground water under the house into the sewage draining system that belong to the city the inspector that I hired to look over the house advised me to have the homeowner reroute this water*****or someplace else because the city could charge me for dumping this water. I had him reroute the water and he told me he would reroute it under our back porch. Not knowing anything about homes or water/plumbing I said umm ok whatever works. now eight months later I have water damage under my porch can I sue?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 9 days ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Yes, it is possible to sue for negligent or defective construction IF you can prove that the work done was sub-standard or done improperly. First, you would need to have a new contractor/plumber inspect what was done and give you an opinion about whether the original contractor did the job correctly or incorrectly. IF the original contractor did the work irresponsibly, you can sue for the cost of repairs.