Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.

I am a 79 year old mother of a 56 year daughter and she has

Customer Question

I am a 79 year old mother of a 56 year daughter and she has been living with her boyfriend for 9 years. The house was flooded and it is covered by the boyfriends house insurance. At present she is living with me and my son with her dog. Can I force the boyfriend to obtain housing for her while the house is being rebuilt. Thank you for your time.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. I am looking to see how to get her housing that the insurance has to pay. I do not know the name of the insurance company. He says he is thinking about whether he want to tell the insurance. company.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Does she have rights based on living at the house 9 years as a couple to the apartment that she needs. My house is so cramp and we are arguing constantly for her to move out.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 7 days ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Does your daughter have any written agreement with the boyfriend regarding the housing?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I want to know if she have a right to a payment apartment for house insurance.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Yes, if she is on title and a named insured then she will be listed on any payout for the claim. Otherwise, if she is neither on title no a loss payee/insured, then she is not legally entitled to payment.