Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

My mother and step dad bought a house my mom gave him

Customer Question

My mother and step dad bought a house my mom gave him $20,000 for the house, the only thing is that he was suppose to put the house in both of their names and he didn't. They are not legally married bit they have been together 12 years only now there getting separated and he's put an eviction order against her saying she has 30 days to leave the house.... What can she do!? She has everything to prove how much she gave him for the house and everything she's invested in it too.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for coming to JUST ANSWER.I know hindsight is 2020, but mom should have seen this coming when she didn't get any paperwork showing her name on the house. In Indiana there is a concept of constructive trust, whereby she can claim an equitable interest in the property which would prevent stepdad from evicting her. At worst, she has a right to title and/or an equitable lien on the property which she might be able to foreclose if he doesn't pay her the money back. In short, she needs a good lawyer, like yesterday. I would be happy to offer our premium service which consists of a live telephone conference. She may need that very badly if it comes down to him filing a court action for eviction which he has to do in order to force her to leave.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Hello again. I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.