Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

I'm a tenant in Los Angeles that is on a month to month

Customer Question

I'm a tenant in Los Angeles that is on a month to month lease . I signed a lease with a provision stating the landlord will provide the refrigerator, but I will be responsible for repairs. I had repaired the fridge once already on my own expense two years ago. The fridge was very old , had multiple problems, leaked and finally was overheating and smelt like burning plastic. i called a repairman and they advised it was no longer practical to repair it. I notified the manger, but they will not respond after several calls. I personally removed the fridge, they did have somebody collect it for junk so I know they are aware. What is your advice on this situation? If I'm am responsible for repairs am I responsible for replacement? The wording is funny saying they will provide the fridge but I will repair it.If I do replace it, is it their or my property? Thanks
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 7 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 7 months ago.

If they are obligated under the lease to provide you with a fridge and its useful life is exhausted as it appears in your case, the the LL has a duty to replace the fridge. If you buy your own fridge, since a fridge can be removed from the property without damaging it and since it is not typically considered a fixture, the fridge you buys should remain your personal property. To avoid any confusion, you may want to send a letter to the LL documenting the event history to date so that at move-out there is no issue of who owns the fridge.

Please Note:

(1) The information provided above is general in nature and for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information. If you need or want legal advice you should consult with a local lawyer of your choice who can better guide you after reviewing all the pertinent facts and details. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and

(3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.