J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.

I have a standard HO policy with replacement cost. A tree

Customer Question

I have a standard Virginia HO policy with replacement cost. A tree fell on my roof. The roof is 14 years old. The adjuster said they will only pay to patch the damaged part of the roof. I don't want a two-toned roof. Shouldn't they replace the whole roof?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 9 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site.

I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. Whether you can force the insurance company to pay for an entire new roof will depend on the language of the policy itself. Typically in a policy it will state that only damaged portion will be replaced unless the roof is a certain age (ie. 20 years old) . In addition there will be a formula if indeed the roof is older then the threshold age in which depreciation of the roof is taking into account. Other policies specifically state only the damaged portion will be replaced regardless of age.

While I agree with you I would want the entire roof to be replaced from an aesthetic reason, if your lucky enough for the policy to cover tree damage, the policy likely limits repairs to the damaged area.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I realize this was not the answer you were hoping to receive however I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.