Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

Can a HOA take a disable home own we r to small claims court

Can a HOA take a disable home own we r to small claims court first not paying their dues?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Yes, they can. There is nothing in the law that prevents someone from suing someone else because they are disabled.

However, it doesn't make sense for them to bring the suit in Small Claims Court, because they'd only get a judgment for the money owed. The usual recourse when someone doesn't pay HOA dues is to foreclose the unit. A Small Claims Court judge can't enter a foreclosure judgment, which means they'll just get a judgment. Disability income cannot be garnished to pay a debt, and neither can Social Security or retirement income. An HOA usually isn't going to go to Small Claims Court unless they have reason to believe the homeowner has plenty of money to pay.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

What additional questions do you have about this?