Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

A warranty deed for the residence of Mother-in-Law was

Customer Question

a warranty deed for the residence of Mother-in-Law was changed in 2006 to a life estate. She has passed in 8-16. She named all five of her children as owners. Two of her children passed before she did. Do her deceased children's heirs get a share when the property is sold?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: mississippi jackson county
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the warranty deed was filed in 2006
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

If she left it to the 5 children, then unless she specifically stated in her will that her children had to survive her, then if a child died, their estate would inherit that child's share and it would pass down to the child's heirs or beneficiaries.

.

So yes, it is very likely that the deceased children's heirs will inherit their 20% to divide up between them.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting"For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

Have a great afternoon!