RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases

I feel that my apartment complex is wrongfully charging me

Customer Question

I feel that my apartment complex is wrongfully charging me extra rent, and purposely preventing me from contacting them by phone to work it out. They wont stop threatening to send me to collections for extra money after paying what I was told I needed to pay
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Ok
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Oregon
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No. I had no idea what to file
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thats good i think ok
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 8 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Why are they trying to charge you more? Do you have a lease agreement stating your rental amount?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I do. So I am not sure if I am in the rigtht or not. My lease says until the 20th. A month before moving out, I Let them know I was leaving sooner. They told me I would not have to pay until the 20th, only for the days that I would be there and they emailed me a new amount to pay, I paid through the 15th, and left the 13th and they told me I didnt owe anything. A few weeks later someone else began contacting me for that extra week of rent
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
my husband has been trying to call all day, they keep emailing me but say that they arent getting calls and sending him to voicemail. So even if we were calling to pay we wouldnt be able to.

Thank you for the reply. If you have something from them, in writing, allowing you to terminate the lease early and pro rate the rent, it would control and you would only owe them that. However, if this was all verbal and nothing in writing, then you would need to pay the full amount of the rent, up until the 20th, since you have a signed lease, obligating you to do so. At this point, if there is money owed, it can be paid and a check can be sent to them, via certified mail, with the balance/difference. Now, you do have a legal right to dispute this and can present evidence and testimony as to who you have spoken to and who agreed to this and leave it up to a Judge to decide if they try and send this to collections and sue you. It is very odd they will not respond to your calls or emails, so you now want to document everything in writing and send it certified mail, so you know it is received. As I shared, if you have proof that they agreed to this, you would be in the right.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thanks! I do have all of this in email, if that's good enough. What would I do with this emails though?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Do I contact collections or full out any forms or just wait for it to go to collections?

Yes, that is evidence which you want to keep and use. If they are threatening you, send them copies of the emails showing there was an agreement that you pay X and that it would end the lease and that is what you did. They agreed to accept this and there was no mention of any additional money owed. If they still want to proceed and go after you, they can and if they sue, you defend this in court and show the emails. You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!