Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My mother put me and my sister on the deed but when she sold

Customer Question

my mother put me and my sister on the deed but when she sold the house all profits went to her. She had to pay off a reverse mortgage which left 130,000 left. We did not do anything with on our taxes since we received no profits. did we do anything wrong?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: House was in Port Chester NY
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: We have an accountant filing an extended 2015 tax return for my mother who passed in jan 2016.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

How was mother able to sell the house if you and sister were on the deed?

,

Did you both sign off on the sale of the house at the closing?

.

Did mother claim any exemptions on the house for homestead capital gains tax exemptions?

.

.

thanks

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry but I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website. I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible.

.

However, if you wish to have a phone call with an attorney, you can post a request for "additional services" and your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

But I am happy to continue on the website if you can provide the information I requested..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Call me(###) ###-####
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

.However, if you wish to have a phone call with an attorney, you can post a request for "additional services" and your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions..But I am happy to continue on the website if you can provide the information I requested....thanksBarrister