Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

My wife and i have been working at a motel. we work 7 days a

Customer Question

my wife and i have been working at a motel. we work 7 days a week 24 hrs a day. in exchange we are paid $2100 a month and get 2 free rooms to live in. lately our bosses have been extremely hostile towards us and we are afraid they may fire us and throw us out on the street. we have lived here working for them for about 18 months we are registered to vote, drivers lic, library card with this address. i have furniture etc here and i don't want to have it put out on the street. I have no lease or employment agreement but i am not a motel guest. i know that they would have to file eviction to remove me since i can easily prove i live here but unfortunately many law enforcement officers are not familiar with laws they may enforce. how can i stop them if it comes to that? what rights do i have as a tenant is the first question. how can i make sure my rights are respected is the second. A third question regarding employer-employee rights is related.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 9 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. You're right that it's a little bit unusual that it's a motel, as opposed to a traditional apartment, but you are nonetheless entitled to the same rights. It would be unusual for the police to get involved in an eviction without an eviction order and they are doubly not going to get involved in removing furniture. So from that perspective I think you can be comfortably waiting for an eviction proceeding to occur. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Could you also please take a moment to submit positive feedback so that I receive credit for assisting you.