socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

How do I avoid seizure of property by the "Medi-Cal Estate

How do I avoid seizure of property by the "Medi-Cal Estate Recovery Program"?
Reference the doc. DHCS 9060 (Rev 02-15).

Is the Medi-Cal participant living or deceased?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Living, 52 years old. Disabled since 2007.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand some people transfer property to a trust, but medi-cal is aware of this tactic and puts restrictions on it.

I am a member of the State Bar of California, the Bar of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties), and the California and National Associations of Realtors.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and respond. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Okay, I'm back. I just needed to check the current laws to see if there's been any changes.

California Department of Health Care Services regulations provide: "Where the decedent made an irrevocable transfer of a remainder interest in property with a retained life estate, the Department's claim shall not apply against the life estate or the remainder interest."

So, the solution is to place substantially all of your assets into your home, by either paying down the mortgage or making improvements, and then grant a retained life estate deed to one or more of your beneficiaries (children, spouse, friends, etc.).

If you need more personal attention than can be provided in this public forum, I can send you a premium services offer, so as to provide my contact information, and we can take the discussion offline into a confidential setting. Please let me know if you're interested.

If not, then I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I gave you 5 stars. Did that not come through?

Yes, I received your rating, thank you!

If you received a message from the website which displays my userid, soliciting anything, please accept my apologies. I do not, under any circumstances, send out correspondence to Justanswer customers, other than in direct response to a customer's posted question -- or request for a premium services offer.

If you receive anything else displaying my userid, then it is being sent from Justanswer without my authorization or knowledge.

Again, my apologies for any inconvenience. Thanks for using Justanswer!