J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

My ex-fiance and I purchased a home together; however, it

Customer Question

My ex-fiance and I purchased a home together; however, it didn't work out and now he would like to buy me out. We are unable to agree on a buy out price and he has consulted an attorney who sent a letter to me regarding "right of contribution" according to his down payment which was significantly larger than what I put down. If we are joint tenants, does this co-ownership law still apply or is it 50/50? Since the home was purchased, all bills were split 50/50.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in Long Beach, California.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No, not that I'm aware of.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would like to know legally if I have a fair chance to fight this or give in.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site.

I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. The courts have upheld the compensatory adjustments for unequal payments in the event to joint tenancy of a house. Meaning, courts in general, for example will allow a credit for the amount a joint tenant paid for a house.

Here is a good summary of the law and how the courts have held in cases like this: http://www.emw-sandiego-attorney.com/compensatory-adjustments-in-partition-actions-under-california-law

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I realize this was not the answer you were hoping to receive however I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! Please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).