LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

I owed approximately $2100 but their figures where more

Customer Question

I owed approximately $2100 but their figures where more because they have contract with a collection agency. Besides the reg & spec. assessment I paid them $6,200 as of last month and asking for more. When an amount was disputed can they charge interest and any other fees?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon Teresita,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed CA attorney for more than 3 decades and I handle real estate matters. Please don't confuse excellent service with a satisfactory outcome based on your wants and desires. I can only explain the law to you---not guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome---any more than a cancer surgeon can guarantee a cure.

The fact that you may dispute a debt claimed by a creditor does not mean that in the event of a settlement that the creditor cannot charge you interest and collection fees on that disputed amount. If you want to avoid those additional interest and fees, you would have to defend the action in court and win your argument as to the fees you believe were not proper.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug