Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I need to file an appeal for an eviction case. I'm having an

Customer Question

I need to file an appeal for an eviction case. I'm having an issue with how to fill it out, Who or what is the "surety"?
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Houston,Texas
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: On my end no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Today is the last day to file this appeal
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Surety is a case appeal bond that the appealing party pays. The Court normally sets an appeal bond at about 2 to 3 times the monthly rent. You can check with the clerk to see what amount has been set.

One can either pay cash up front (full bond amount), or, use a surety (pay a pre-approved company to promise to pay the bond if needed).

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just added the appeal bond I need to send in today. Can you please inform me on how exactly to fill this out?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also the judge did not say anything about what the surety might be, however, because I am two months behind right now I am assuming that the surety would be the amount due already.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

1) It would be impractical to go line by line in writing; and also

2) JustAnswer experts cannot fill out legal documents on customer's behalf.

However, if you are having questions just with a few spots and interpreting what the verbiage means, that is okay. I know you requested a phone call and that would be easier. You can do so again. The site allows the expert to opt out of the call request, and I must respectfully ***** ***** not worry - other experts receive the request as well, and the first available expert calls. They will also have your question and my replies to build upon, so nothing will be lost.

Or, reply via this thread and tell me specifically what lines you have issues with, and we can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All I need to know is do I put the amount that needs to be paid to the appellee in the surety line. And what are they referring to in the liabilities section on the second page? Is that my debts?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
last question: After filling these out, I then hand deliver one copy to the appellant, and to the court?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Ah, okay.

"All I need to know is do I put the amount that needs to be paid to the appellee in the surety line."

I think you mean "$___, and surety and appellee..."

As stated, the Court pre-sets this amount. You can check with the court clerk to see what amount has been set. You can just call them. They normally would have this information.

"And what are they referring to in the liabilities section on the second page? Is that my debts?"

Yes. You will see mortgage, etc listed out, but you are also expected to fill out whatever is not included, if it exists.

"And last question: After filling these out, I then hand deliver one copy to the appellant, and to the court?"

Correct.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, the surety is going to be me. I'm just buying more time to pay is all. So I should fill out the Oath of Surety as myself?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

That form assumes that a surety would be used. Normally, another form can be used if available or the appeal is simply drafted from scratch. Forms are simply commonly used pleadings reduced to boilerplate documents.

As such, someone in your situation may want to draft from scratch, or if set to use this form, to simply put N/A where the surety is mentioned. The Court may seek clarification on this, however.