Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I'd like to add someone onto the deed of my house. How do I

Customer Question

I'd like to add someone onto the deed of my house. How do I prepare a quick claim deed form that will add an individual as an equal, but not give up my portion of the property?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If you want to make the other person an equal owner, then you would fill out the quitclaim deed form with you being the grantor and then with you and the other person being the grantees. That way you would automatically both be 50% owners once the quitclaim deed is notarized and recorded at the local land records office..

.

Let me know if you have further questions..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. We are in Colorado and all forms I've seen, only has one space for Grantee. Where would I find a form to place both of our names as the Grantee?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
For clearity, can we write in the 50%? if so where would we include that in the form?

Here is a link to a site that sells one cor CO from one person to two individuals as joint tenants:

.

Quitclaim 1 to 2 JT

.

And just by listing two individuals as the grantees, they are automatically 50% owners each as a matter of law. If you don't want them to automatically be 50/50, you have to actually state a different percentage as the default is exactly equal ownership.

.

.

thanks