J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.

When you are sharing a home with a couple and sharing the

Customer Question

when you are sharing a home with a couple and sharing the expenses equally and they don't want you there any longer and you find a new place to live are you obligated to continuing to pay rent and other expenses until the lease is up?
JA: I hope not.
Customer: They ask me to share the home with them and share the expenses to save money , i pay my share of the expenses each month and now the husband doesn't want me there because he is lazy and does not clean up his mess and i say something about it he doesn't want me there because i say something about it he still expect me to pay rent even if i get my own place before their lease is up.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Fuquay-Varina n.c.27526 by the way i am not on the lease i did not sign the lease i am only on there as a third person in the home
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: what kind of paperwork are you talking about
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 17 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site.

It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  J. Warren replied 17 days ago.

If a person is not on the lease agreement with the residence they are not obligated to stay for the remainder of the lease term the tenant under agreement has for the residence. If there is no written agreement between the roommate and the tenant, the roommate may vacate prior to the end of the tenant's lease term and is not obligated to continue to pay rents, utilities etc.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time.

Expert:  J. Warren replied 17 days ago.

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).