LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.

Can you please tell me why do I have to buy mortgage

Customer Question

Can you please tell me why do I have to buy mortgage insurance. My loan officer told me if I pay at closing cost 10k that would save me like s250 after 3,5 years this is for convention loan of about 360k. Also if I buy MI do I qualify for more?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 16 days ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Mortgage insurance is generally required for conventional mortgage loans if you are no paying at least 20% of the purchase price as a down payment. So, if the loan to value ration of the purchase is below 80% many lenders will not require that you pay mortgage insurance.

Paying the closing costs of $10,000 at the time of the closing, as opposed to rolling them into the mortgage will generally save you about $400 a year in additional interest payments.

Agreeing to pay for mortgage insurance will not qualify you to borrow any more money (it is your present income and debts that determine how much you can borrow)---but it will allow you to borrow more than 80% of the value of the home you are buying so you don't have to put 20% as a down payment.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 16 days ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,