Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.

Can an owner take photos of the personal space/possessions

Customer Question

Can an owner take photos of the personal space/possessions of a tenat (withe tenant's permission), and then include those phots on a Craigslist listing to seel the property. But never having asked or received permission to p[ost on the Internet
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: New York, New York
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: There is no paperwork...if by that you mean between owner and tenant giving permission to publish "personal" soace photos in a listing
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that is the quesiton
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 10 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

Unless it was agreed upon, orally or in a written agreement, a tenant could make a case that it is a breach of the agreement to post the photographs on the internet. Invasion of Privacy claims are more for using a person's image without consent for commercial purposes. We can discuss more if you would like to do so.

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 6 days ago.

Hello again! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars. Best regards.