Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.

I was evicted for a situation that happened between my adult

Customer Question

I was evicted for a situation that happened between my adult children while i was at work.This happened on Christmas day.They gave me notice on January 5th. I paid a deposit of 500 dollars and a pet deposit of 1200 dollars. My rent was 600 dollars but I was having a hard time finding a place to live so they accepted 700 dollars a month while I was actively looking for a place to live. I moved out May 13th. and I still have not received anything as far as returned deposit or an account of how that money was spent. All of the research I have done says they have 60 days to give me one or the other. I would like to find out how I should move forward in this matter.
Thank you Maridee Vancleave
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 14 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

If a landlord is not returning the security deposit (and you are correct that it would be about 60 days depending on the state), then the tenant can bring an action in court (small claims court) for the return of the security deposit. You are also correct, that the landlord would have to itemize the deductions. We can discuss more if you would like to do so.

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 10 days ago.

Hello again Maridee! Checking in to see if you further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to do so. If you are satisfied with your answer, I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love you to give me a 5 star rating. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus too! Best regards.